Monday, December 22, 2008

And the holidays are upon us...

Last year, I waited too long to buy latkes and I couldn't find any in the store. So, I was left no option but to buy a boxed mix. This year, I really wanted to try to make them from scratch.



Latkes, which are Yiddish for potato pancakes, are traditional foods eaten at Hanukkah time. Here's a small history behind latkes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato_pancake.

So, after spending a good amount of time researching latkes recipes, I found this one and decided to try it. http://www.jewfaq.org/holiday7.htm#Latkes
I couldn't believe how utterly easy they were to make and I'll never have frozen latkes again. I swear by this recipe! The hardest part of this recipe was grating the potatoes which my husband helped with. I'm sure if we had a food processor, grating the potatoes would've been even faster and easier! I highly recommend watching the video before cooking the latkes. It's great to have a visual aid!

Today, I made spiced pumpkin bread, as a holoday gift, for our neighbor. I do enjoy making things from scratch, but I decided to try something semi-homemade this time. I purchased a box of Duncan Hines Spice Cake mix and made it as planned. Then, I added a can of 100% pure pumpkin. I mixed everything together and then threw it in a bread pan in the oven (at 325 for 30 minutes). I kept checking the bread and 30 minutes wasn't enough. I think it was closer to 45 minutes until the toothpick came out clean. The house smells great!

On to the new year and new recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment