Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Tandoori Chicken


Years ago, while working in Manhattan, I would frequent a sandwich place called Cosi http://www.getcosi.com/. It's a nationwide chain, but I didn't know it at the time. They have a delicious chicken tandoori sandwich. Since leaving New York, I think I've had tandoori chicken maybe twice. So, today while I was in Target looking for bread flour with no luck, I found a spice pack for tandoori chicken. I couldn't resist buying it.

Here's the history, if you're interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tandoori_chicken

One thing you'll notice in my blog is I rarely follow recipes and I rarely measure anything. The spice box only mentioned a few things regarding measurements, so I just improvised.

First, I started with boneless chicken breast, even though the recipe calls for chicken thighs. I prefer white meat. I sliced the meat and placed it in a tupperware filled with two teaspoons of lemon juice (as per the box) and refrigerated it for 20 minutes. Next, I mixed the following:
  • a small onion
  • 2 cups plain low-fat yogurt (the recipe specifically called for regular plain yogurt, and even mentioned not using low-fat or non-fat yogurt, but I simply couldn't bring myself to eat regular yogurt after reading the nutritional label)
  • 1/4 of the spice packet (this I just guestimated, since the whole packet is for 4 servings)
I mixed everything together and by now, the chicken was ready. I threw everything in a storage bag (chicken, lemon juice, and yogurt mixture) and let that marinate for 60 minutes.

The only thing left to do is to cook the chicken (450 for 40-50 minutes or until the juices run clear). Our oven runs a bit hot, so I expect 35 minutes to be plenty of time.

The picture posted isn't the outcome, but I expect it to look similar!

So, back to the main reason for the trip to Target. I really want to try this recipe http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/French-Baguettes/Detail.aspx but without bread flour, I'm stuck! I'll probably look for it on Friday. Stay tuned :)

1 comment:

  1. Mmm, looks delicious! Congrats on the new blog :)

    DH loves tandoori chicken. Maybe I can surprise him on his birthday with the recipe, NEXT YEAR!

    ReplyDelete